The heartbeat of Habitat’s Mission
Help Build Futures
Volunteers are the heartbeat of Habitat. You’re helping build the future for a family, for our community, for our county. All hands are welcome and no matter what your skillset, we have a task you can help with!
Even if you don’t know how to swing a hammer, you can always bring lunches to our volunteers, donate materials or even help clean up. There are many ways to help build up the Ionia Community.
We have volunteer opportunities at our construction sites year round. No experience, tools or skills are necessary to participate – we will show you how!
- No construction experience is required
- Construction tasks may include deconstruction, framing, painting, trim carpentry, exterior trim, siding, final details, landscaping
- The day begins with a safety orientation
- When our construction sites are open depends on many variables, but we keep all of our volunteers informed of when and where they can help!
- Dress for the weather but we’ll provide the meals while on site!
- Chaperones are required for youth under 18 years old
- 16-17 year olds may assist on most construction sites, but may not use power tools or work from a height of six feet or more
- 14-15 year olds may paint trim in our warehouse or landscape in our learning garden
- Youth under 14 years may not volunteer on the construction site, but there are still many youth volunteer opportunities:
- Help to stock our ReStores by collecting donations
- Fundraise to help build a child’s bedroom (items range from a doorknob to carpeting)
- Say “thanks” to our volunteers by making snacks or lunches
- Make cookie or pizza kits to help kids feel at home when they move in
- Help us appreciate our volunteers by making fun seasonal gifts (great for big groups)
- Create a scrapbook of photos commemorating different steps in the homeownership/building process
- Practice building skills and provide families with personalized home accessories, or use your projects as a fundraising resource
- These are our most popular projects, but if you have other skills or ideas on ways you’d like to contribute we are always open to new opportunities!
Our Volunteer of the Year for 2022
Every year we celebrate one special individual who has gone above and beyond for our community. Whether it’s volunteering to help the ReStore or assist with our projects, we seek to honor the volunteers who give us their skills and their time to help bring new life to homes in the community. Without volunteers like these, our mission simply wouldn’t be possible.
Thank You Ray Lachance!
Want to Make an Impact on Your Community?
Then consider lending us a helping hand by volunteering! Just click the button below to get your form and you’ll be well on your way to becoming a volunteer!