Rock the Block
Bringing vitality to entire neighborhoods
Rock the Block brings together volunteers to support the home preservation goals and place-based investments of the communities where we are currently building homes. Year-round, our volunteers partner with neighborhood organizations, businesses, homeowners, renters, etc. to complete exterior home preservation projects, perform park maintenance, and refresh public spaces all across a single neighborhood. While volunteers paint, plant flowers, or pick up debris, they get to know other volunteers and the community around them.
Do I Qualify?
Homeowners who qualify for Rock the Block:
- Fall within Habitat’s income guidelines.
- Agree to be home of the day of Rock the Block to assist in ways ranging from helping with the repair, to handing out water and greeting volunteers.
- Property must be located inside of Ionia County.
- Property must be insured.
Is There a Cost?
The Rock the Block program is a partnership. While labor is provided at no cost, you will be asked to contribute to the cost of the project materials based on an affordability scale and provide sweat equity investment in the activity.
What Will We Do?
We provide preventative maintenance and preservation repair to the exterior of homes/buildings:
- Painting (windows/porches/sheds)
- Power washing siding
- Caulking, foaming, weather stripping
- Repairing/replacing fascia/siding/skirting trim
- Repairing porches, repairing/installing railings
- Replacing screen doors
- Replacing exterior doors
- Repairing/replacing steps
- Repairing/replacing wheelchair ramps
Want to Rock the Block with us?
We can always use more volunteers who will Rock the Block with us! Whatever your skillset, your contribution is invaluable in helping making Ionia County a better community for all of our families! Just click the button below to learn more about volunteering!